Membership Services Department
2013 Program Service Accomplishments
from The SETI League, Inc. IRS Form 990, Part III
(a) Science Programs:
- Supported 147 Project Argus radio telescopes built by members in 27 countries on all seven continents. Coordinated their SETI and astrophysical observations. Argus stations analyzed and cataloged several new candidate signals during 2013.
- Members' stations continued to monitor telemetry signals and science beacons from several NASA and ESA interplanetary space probes.
- Members provided leadership (as chair and vice-chair) to the SETI Permanent Committee of the International Academy of Astronautics.
- SETI League members continue to lend computer support to the SETI@home distributed computing experiment, through the Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Networked Computing (BOINC).
(b) Technology Programs:
- Assisted several members in upgrading their Project Argus radio telescopes.
- Responded via email to numerous technical queries from members and the general public.
(c) Public Education Programs:
- Executive Director Emeritus delivered the Billingham Cutting Edge Lecture at the 2013 International Astronautical Congress, as well as four public SETI lectures in the US and China.
- Members participated in technical conferences of two SETI League affiliates, the Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers (SARA) and the Radio Amateur Satellite Corporation (AMSAT), presenting papers and conducting workshops.
- Executive Director Emeritus published six technical articles in scholarly journals, Conference proceedings, and the popular press, served as a manuscript reviewer for the International Academy of Astronautics, and as a member of the British Interplanetary Society's editorial board.
- The SETI League provided webmastering and website hosting services to the International Academy of Astronautics SETI Permanent Committee.
- Secretary distributed CD copies of "The SETI League Technical Manual".
- Officers and volunteer Regional Coordinators answered email queries from around the world on technical and societal aspects of SETI.
- Distributed print and CD copies of various SETI League Conference Proceedings.
(d) Media and Outreach Programs:
- Published four issues of SearchLites, the quarterly newsletter of The SETI League, Inc.
- Coordinated and archived two open public email lists.
- Filed 52 weekly updates to The SETI League's extensive website.
- Posted two Press Releases and twelve Editorials to our website.
- Mailed out dozens of membership brochures to email requesters.
- Several of our 60 volunteer Regional Coordinators in 46 countries conducted print and broadcast media briefings and interviews.
- Awards Committee chairman designated recipients for the eighteenth annual Giordano Bruno Memorial Award, the eleventh Orville Greene Service Award, and twelve SETI SuperStar Awards.