Membership Services Department
2011 Program Service Accomplishments
from The SETI League, Inc. IRS Form 990, Part III
(a) Science Programs:
- Supported 147 Project Argus radio telescopes built by members in 27 countries on all seven continents. Coordinated their SETI and astrophysical observations. Argus stations analyzed and cataloged several new candidate signals during 2011.
- Members' stations continued to monitor telemetry signals and science beacons from several NASA and ESA interplanetary space probes.
- Provided Committee leadership (as co-chairman) to the SETI Permanent Study Group of the International Academy of Astronautics.
- SETI League members continue to lend computer support to the SETI@home distributed computing experiment, through the Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Networked Computing (BOINC).
(b) Technology Programs:
- Assisted three members in bringing new Project Argus stations online.
- Coordinated and archived four closed technical email lists.
(c) Public Education Programs:
- Executive Director Emeritus delivered five public SETI lectures in the US and South Africa.
- Members participated in the 2011 Green Bank Technical Conference of the Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers (SARA), a SETI League affiliate, as well as SARA’s regional conferences in Tennessee and California, presenting papers and conducting workshops.
- Executive Director Emeritus published five technical articles in scholarly journals, Conference proceedings, and the popular press, served as a manuscript reviewer for the International Academy of Astronautics, and as a member of the British Interplanetary Society’s editorial board.
- The SETI League provided webmastering and website hosting services to the In-ternational Academy of Astronautics SETI Permanent Committee.
- Distributed CD copies of "The SETI League Technical Manual" and "Tune In The Universe!", a radio amateur's guide to the Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence.
- Officers and volunteer Regional Coordinators answered numerous email queries from around the world on technical and societal aspects of SETI.
- Distributed numerous print and CD copies of various SETI League Conference Proceedings.
(d) Media and Outreach Programs:
- Published four issues of SearchLites, the quarterly newsletter of The SETI League, Inc.
- Coordinated and archived two open public email lists.
- Distributed three Press Releases and twelve Editorials to over 700 media outlets worldwide.
- Filed 52 weekly updates to The SETI League's extensive website.
- Mailed out dozens of membership brochures to email requesters.
- Several of our 60 volunteer Regional Coordinators in 46 countries conducted print and broadcast media briefings and interviews.
- Executive Director Emeritus granted interviews to print media and broadcast outlets in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, New York, the United Kingdom, Brazil, Germany, and South Africa.
- Awards Committee chairman designated recipients for the sixteenth annual Giordano Bruno Memorial Award, the ninth Orville Greene Service Award, and twelve SETI SuperStar Awards.