Membership Services Department
2007 Program Service Accomplishments
from The SETI League, Inc. IRS Form 990, Part III
(a) Science Programs:
- Supported 135 Project Argus radio telescopes built by members in 26 countries on all seven continents. Coordinated their SETI and astrophysical observations. Argus stations analyzed and cataloged several new candidate signals during 2007.
- Members' stations monitored telemetry signals and science beacons from several NASA and ESA interplanetary space probes.
- Provided Committee leadership (as co-chairman) to the SETI Permanent Study Group of the International Academy of Astronautics.
- 65 SETI League members continue to lend computer support to the SETI@home distributed computing experiment, through the Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Networked Computing (BOINC).
(b) Technology Programs:
- Upgraded the W2ETI Moonbounce Beacon with new antennas (ongoing). When completed, this will provide improved microwave calibration signals to the world's amateur and professional radio telescopes.
- Coordinated and archived four closed technical email lists.
- Inducted one additional amateur radio astronomer into the Extra-Terrestrial Century Club, for a total of fourteen ETCC honorees.
(c) Public Education Programs:
- Executive Director delivered nine public lectures in four countries on three continents, dealing with radio astronomy techniques and related SETI science.
- Our members coordinated the 2007 Technical Conference of the Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers (SARA), a SETI League affiliate which our Executive Director serves as Vice President, editing and contributing to the Proceedings for that Conference.
- Executive Director served as Director of Education for the Radio Amateur Satellite Corporation (AMSAT), a SETI League affiliate.
- Executive Director published seven SETI technical articles in scholarly journals and the popular press, plus three SETI related papers in Conference proceedings.
- Provided webmastering services to several sister organizaions, including the Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers, International Academy of Astronautics SETI Permanent Study Group, Invitation to ETI.
- Distributed CD copies of "The SETI League Technical Manual" and "Tune In The Universe!", a radio amateur's guide to the Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence.
- Officers and volunteer Regional Coordinators answered numerous email queries from around the world on technical and non-technical aspects of SETI.
- Distributed numerous print and CD copies of various SETI League Conference Proceedings.
- Introduced two new music CDs including numerous SETI songs.
(d) Media and Outreach Programs:
- Published four issues of SearchLites, the quarterly newsletter of The SETI League, Inc.
- Coordinated and archived two open public email lists.
- Distributed eight Press Releases and twelve Editorials to over 700 media outlets worldwide.
- Filed 52 weekly updates to The SETI League's extensive website, bringing its total document count to over 6200 pages.
- Mailed out dozens of membership brochures to email requesters.
- Several of our 63 volunteer Regional Coordinators in 48 countries conducted print and broadcast media briefings and interviews.
- Executive Director granted print media and broadcast interviews in the US, Russia, Puerto Rico, India, and Germany, and appeared in television documentaries in Germany, France, and Netherlands.
- Awards Committee chairman presented the thirteenth annual Giordano Bruno Memorial Award, the sixth annual Orville N. Greene Service Award, and twelve SETI SuperStar Awards.