Membership Services Department
2005 Program Service Accomplishments
from The SETI League, Inc. IRS Form 990, Part III
(a) Science Programs:
- Coordinated 130 Project Argus radio telescopes in 22 countries, built and operated by our members on all seven continents, in their SETI and astrophysical observations. Argus stations analyzed and cataloged several new candidate signals during 2005.
- Members' stations monitored telemetry signals and science beacons from eight NASA and ESA interplanetary space probes, including Venus Express, Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, Mars Odyssey, Mars Express, Deep Impact, Rosetta, SMART 1, and Advanced Composition Explorer.
- Provided Committee leadership (as co-chairman) to the SETI Permanent Study Group of the International Academy of Astronautics.
- 248 members upgraded their software to the Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Networked Computing (BOINC), in support of the SETI@home distributed computing experiment.
(b) Technology Programs:
- Designed and tested a new analog phase shifter circuit for the Very Small Array radio telescope prototype.
- Upgraded the W2ETI Moonbounce Beacon through the acquisition of a new high power amplifier, improving microwave calibration signals provided to the world's amateur and professional radio telescopes.
- Provided ongoing design consultation and proposal assistance to the Montecorvino SETI Telescope Array (MStar).
- Coordinated and archived four closed technical email lists.
- Inducted one additional amateur radio astronomer into the Extra-Terrestrial Century Club, for a total of twelve ETCC honorees.
(c) Public Education Programs:
- Executive Director delivered ten public lectures in five countries on three continents, dealing with radio astronomy techniques and related SETI science.
- Executive Director published ten SETI technical articles in the popular and scientific press.
- SETI League webmaster provided webmastering services to the Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers, the International Academy of Astronautics SETI Permanent Study Group, and Invitation to ETI.
- Distributed 22 CD copies of "Tune In The Universe!", a radio amateur's guide to the Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence.
- Distributed 16 print and CD copies of "The SETI League Technical Manual."
- Distributed several print and CD copies of various SETI League Conference Proceedings.
(d) Media and Outreach Programs:
- Published four issues of SearchLites, the quarterly newsletter of The SETI League, Inc.
- Coordinated and archived two open public email lists.
- Distributed nine Press Releases and twelve Editorials to over 700 media outlets worldwide.
- Filed 52 weekly updates to The SETI League's extensive website, bringing its total document count to over 2900 pages.
- Several of our 65 volunteer Regional Coordinators in 49 countries conducted print and broadcast media briefings and interviews.
- Executive Director granted print media and broadcast interviews in the US, Japan, Canada, San Marino, and Italy.
- Presented the eleventh annual Giordano Bruno Memorial Award, the fourth annual Orville N. Greene Service Award, three Best Ideas Awards, and twelve SETI SuperStar Awards.