Membership Services Department
2002 Program Service Accomplishments
from The SETI League, Inc. IRS Form 990, Part III
(a) Science Programs:
- Coordinated 119 Project Argus radio telescopes in 22 countries, built and operated by volunteers, logging in excess of 100,000 hours of astrophysical observations.
- Operated W2ETI Moonbounce Beacon, providing 2160 hours of free microwave calibration signals to the world's amateur and professional radio telescopes.
- Provided Committee participation, webmastering, and web hosting services to the SETI Permanent Study Group of the International Academy of Astronautics.
- 228 members contributed more than 100 years of processing time to the SETI@home distributed computing experiment.
(b) Technology Programs:
- Completed Phase 1, Physical Structures, of the Very Small Array radio telescope prototype.
- Filed US Patent Application #20020063657, Adaptive Microwave Antenna Array.
- Coordinated and archived four closed technical email lists.
- Inducted eight amateur radio astronomers into the Extra-Terrestrial Century Club.
(c) Public Education Programs:
- Conducted SETICon02, The SETI League's second annual Technical Symposium, and published extensive Proceedings.
- Distributed over 100 copies of "Tune In The Universe!", a radio amateur's guide to the Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence.
- SETI League personnel delivered over 30 public lectures on radio astronomy techniques and related SETI science.
- Published more than a dozen technical articles in the popular and scientific press.
- Launched "Contact In Context," a new Web-based peer-reviewed SETI journal.
- Provided webmastering services to the Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers.
(d) Media and Outreach Programs:
- Published four issues of SearchLites, the quarterly newsletter of The SETI League, Inc.
- Coordinated and archived two open public email lists.
- Distributed eleven Press Releases and twelve Editorials to over 700 media outlets worldwide.
- Filed 52 weekly updates to The SETI League's extensive website, bringing its total document count to over 2500 pages.
- 63 volunteer Regional Coordinators in 50 countries conducted more than 100 print and broadcast media briefings and interviews.
- Executive Director performed SETI-related concerts at six different conventions and professional meetings in four countries.
- Presented eighth annual Giordano Bruno Memorial Award, and first annual Orville N. Greene Service Award.