SETI League Policy Manual
The WorkWare (tm) Concept
In support of our goal of total-sky monitoring for intelligent signals of extra-terrestrial origin, several SETI League volunteers are hard at work developing software for candidate signal analysis and station control. The SETI League, Inc. appreciates the efforts of its members in this regard, and encourages them to share the fruits of their labors with their fellow SETIzens.
Members desiring to share their software with other SETI League members have expressed concern that any use of their products should be directed specifically toward the SETI mission and goals. Recognizing that Digital Signal Processing software has potential applications in the commercial sector, they have requested that distribution of their designs be restricted to active, registered Project Argus participants. Out of respect for the contributions of our members actively developing software, The SETI League has developed the following WorkWare (tm) policies:
- The basic philosophy behind WorkWare is that your software will continue to work as long as you do.
- WorkWare is similar to the familiar Shareware concept, but requires active participation in The SETI League's scientific mission for continued use of the software so contributed.
- All software contributed by members to The SETI League WorkWare pool shall be provided free of charge to those registered in and actively participating in approved SETI League research projects.
- WorkWare contributions remain the intellectual property of the individual authors.
- No member receiving WorkWare may distribute it to any third party, or use it for any commercial purpose, without the explicit written permission of the authors.
- WorkWare will be freely distributed to any SETI League member in good standing, with a reasonable trial period, after which it will expire if not registered.
- A user may register WorkWare by logging on to the designated data collection server, and uploading status reports or observational data.
- Each data upload or status report will automatically reset the software's expiration date counter. Thus, to remain functional, WorkWare must be used periodically in support of approved SETI research.
- Expired WorkWare may be re-registered by requesting an additional trial period, and then uploading a status report or observational data.
- These Rules and Regulations shall have the force and effect of Bylaws of The SETI League, Inc. They may be amended as necessary from time to time by the Board of Trustees. Amendments or revisions shall become effective as of the date of their posting to the World Wide Web site of The SETI League, Inc.