Membership Services Department
Minutes of the Fourth Annual Membership Meeting
29 March 1998, Little Ferry NJ
Respectfully submitted, A. Heather Wood, Secretary
- Call to Order
The meeting was convened at 1400 hours EST, at SETI League Headquarters, 433 Liberty Street, Little Ferry NJ, by Executive Director Dr. H. Paul Shuch. Members present:
Richard Factor, President
H. Paul Shuch, Executive Director
Heather Wood, Secretary
Marc Arnold, Trustee
Marty Schreiber, Trustee
plus several guests.
Our Bylaws requiring one percent of the current membership to be in attendance for the conduct
of SETI League business, the above represents a quorum.
- Minutes of 1997 Membership Meeting
The Minutes of the 1997 Membership Meeting were read by Secretary A. Heather Wood, having been previously posted to The SETI League's World Wide Web site. A motion was passed to accept the minutes as published.
A video of an interview with Dr. Shuch, televised by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, was shown and very well received.
- Treasurer's Report
presented by Trustee Marty Schreiber, CPA, covering the calendar year
1997 - not audited.
Income $140,000 (up from $89,000) - membership dues and contributions, donations,
Expenses $152,000 (down from $153,000 prior year).
Net loss $12,000
End of 1997, balance in account was $40,000. Start of 1997 balance was $53,000.
This report was accepted by those present.
- Committee Reports
- Hardware Committee
- Preamps are available from Downeast Microwave
- Feedhorns are available from Radio Astronomy Supplies
- New receive converters are available from Downeast Microwave
- Can't yet offer turnkey systems. 2-meter receiver now in smaller box, looking for
- Working with Tucson Amateur Packet Radio Association on a time-and-frequency
standard so all Argus stations can have a common time clock tapping GPS for cross-
- Software Committee
Report received from coordinator Dan Fox. Has Win95 startup screen for SETIFox;
writing using LabView.
- Internet Committee
Report received from coordinator Bob Cutter. Discussion list has around 200 subscribers.
- Finance Committee
Charts shown depicting our projected membership growth, anticipated revenues, and marginal cost of servicing each new membership.
- Membership Services Committee
- Currently 791 members. Around 67% retention rate.
- Sir Arthur Clarke sends his good wishes.
- Dr. Bob Dixon sent very positive email.
- Regional coordinators:
39 coordinators, 32 countries. Reports received from Alaska, Finland, Brazil, Netherlands, Washington State, Switzerland.
Coordinators are contacting and being contacted by interested people, giving interviews,
and working on translating our information.
- Report from Nick Morvay, Eastern Canada Coordinator in attendance:
Passing on press releases to local press and radio; contacting members. One station is
operational in the area.
- Report from Steve Carver, SE US Coordinator in attendance:
Working with our intellectual property issues. Has filed for trademark status on our logo.
Gets a call from a member around every two days. Needs a standardized package of info. Has given several speeches. Needs guidance on responding to Ufologists. Has arranged for Dr. Shuch to go on "Sightings." Can contact Jody Foster to film a Public Service Announcement. ICOM receiver is currently on special offer.
- Dr Shuch thanked all regional coordinators and committee chairs for their efforts.
- Old Business
- Executive Director's status
- Dr. Shuch has been retained as Executive Director for five years (i.e., until 15 August
- Dr Shuch gave a brief report on his travels. Cutting down to one major trip per year,
several smaller ones.
- Since last Annual Meeting, 21 publications, mainly in electronics journals. Attendance at
7 major conferences worldwide, a few minor ones in the NE US.
- The conference calendar in SearchLites will reflect when a SETI League affiliated person will be attending.
- 4 more 6-page issues.
- May go to four focused "theme" issues - requesting feedback from
- Member Joe Shapiro inquired about the feasibility of sending newsletters and membership roster via email. Answer - when the server allows.
- Membership premiums
New item - mouse pads. All items priced to break even on suggested contribution. "Nerd
Gift Set" proving popular.
- Project Argus Report
48 stations known operational, in 12 countries and 15 US states. Some people believed to have stations running have not returned Argus Surveys.
We have done very well, with television, radio, and press coverage. The film "Contact"
caused an upsurge of interest.
- New Business
- The membership recommends that the Trustees retain the current slate of officers.
- 1998 Bruno Award given to England regional co-coordinators Trevor Unsworth and Ken Chattenton. Heather Wood will
present these in England on 21 April, second anniversary of Project Argus launch.
- Good and Welfare
- Dr Shuch thanked our corporate sponsors: Eventide, Eagleware, Merrimac, Texas
- President Richard Factor acknowledged the Executive Director's contributions, saying "Paul is perfect."
- Next Annual Membership Meeting will be Sunday 28 March 1999 at 1300 hours EST.
- Dr. Shuch regaled us with his latest SETI song.
The Annual Membership Meeting was adjourned by the Executive Director at 1515 hours EST on 29 March 1998.
See 1998 Annual Meeting Photos