Membership Services Department
Minutes of the Seventeenth Annual Membership Meeting
24 April 2011, SETI League Headquarters, Little Ferry, NJ
- Call to Order
The meeting was convened at 13:01 hours EDT, in the Library at SETI League Headquarters, Little Ferry NJ, by Executive Director Emeritus Dr. H. Paul Shuch. Three SETI League members in good standing present. Our Bylaws requiring one percent of the current membership to be in attendance for the conduct of SETI League business, the above represents a quorum.
- Minutes of 2010 Membership Meeting
The Minutes of the 2010 Membership Meeting having been previously posted to The SETI League's World Wide Web site, the following correction was requested by Richard Factor: under New Business, 1. Web Server, DSL should read Cable. par A motion was then passed to accept the minutes as amended.
- Treasurer's Report
Presented jointly by the Executive Director and the Secretary/Treasurer, covering the calendar year 2010 (as e-filed).
- Revenues: Dues and Contributions $22,733, Interest Income $8, Total $22,741.
- Expenses: Educational/Scientific Programs $16,222, Management/General $2,666, Fundraising $1,050, Total $19,939.
- Revenues minus Expenses: $2,803.
- End of 2010, SETI League account balances equalled $10,981. 2008 beginning net assets $8,178.
- 2010 Budget: Projected Revenues $20,020, Program Expenses $17,000, Management/General Expenses $4,600, Fundraising Expenses $1,400, Projected deficit ($1,981), Projected Ending Balance $9,000.
- This report was accepted by those present.
- Executive Director's Report
The Executive Director's annual report of Program Service Accomplishments having been previously posted to The SETI League's World Wide Web site, a motion was passed to accept the report as published.
- Committee Reports
Report by station trustee Richard Factor. The EME beacon remains off the air. The yagis are damaged beyond economic repair. It is hoped to replace them with a dish. The station license has been renewed.
Awards Committee chairman David Ocame being absent, executive director H. Paul Shuch announced that this year's Giordano Bruno Award was made to Christian Monstein. This year's Orville N. Greene Award was made in memoriam to Dr Malcolm Raff. A phone call was made to his widow, Connie Woods, to advise her of the award. Twelve websites have been given the SETI SuperStar award this year. More nominations are requested from the members. Paul will note this in the next issue of SearchLites.
- Old Business
- Very Small Array
Executive Director Emeritus H. Paul Shuch reports that the project is on hold, due to lack of funding.
- Mid-Year Renewal Letter
Secretary/Treasurer Heather Wood will mail out a mid-year appeal to lapsed members.
- Annual Report
The SETI League's 2010 Annual Report is available to members via the website, in Portable Document Format (PDF).
- Web Server
President Richard Factor reports that the website will migrate to a new server sometime soon. Richard will look into the archiving facilities offered by Google Groups.
- New Business
- The book "Searching for Extraterrestrial Intelligence," edited by H. Paul Shuch has just been published by Springer Verlag. All contributing authors have agreed that any resulting royalties will accrue to The SETI League, Inc. A motion was made and passed to allow the executive director to draw upon such royalties to offset SETI related travel expenses.
- The meeting reaffirmed the commitment of the membership to searching for extraterrestrial intelligence.
- Next Meeting
The next Annual Meeting will be held at the same venue. The date of Sunday 22 April 2012 has been tentatively approved. The meeting will be at 1300 hours EDT, to be followed immediately by the Board of Trustees meeting. The date and time will be announced to the membership via the website and newsletter.
- Good and Welfare
- The membership was apprised of the Executive Director Emeritus' new venture, a Sport Aviation flight school.
The Annual Membership Meeting was adjourned by the Executive Director Emeritus at 13:35 hours EDT on 24 April 2011. A Regular Board of Trustees meeting followed.
Business Transacted by Board of Trustees:
- Quorum Call
Trustees and Officers present: A. Heather Wood, Richard Factor, H. Paul Shuch
Trustees and Officers absent: Martin Schreiber
A quorum is present.
- Election of Officers
The following slate of officers was retained for a one-year term:
President - Richard Factor, serving without compensation.
Secretary/Treasurer - A. Heather Wood
Executive Director Emeritus - H. Paul Shuch, serving on a volunteer basis.
- Registered Agent
The New Jersey Division of Revenue requires that we designate a Registered Agent to execute certain state documents. Richard Factor was previously appointed to this post, and has agreed to continue serving in this capacity for an additional year.
- Personnel matters
- In executive session, the Secretary/Treasurer's annual performance review was completed.
- In executive session, the Board of Trustees voted to continue cost-sharing of Executive Director Emeritus' health insurance premiums, as an administrative expense, pending availability of funds and subject to periodic review. Dr. Shuch abstaining.
- Advisory Board
Establishment of a secure email alias, to permit the Executive Director Emeritus to communicate with Advisory Board members on an occasional basis, was previously authorized. Richard Factor will explore implement this function upon activation of the new Web server.
- Bank Fees
Fees charged for our various bank accounts were discussed. The Secretary/Treasurer will explore alternatives for reducing credit card fees.
The Board of Trustees meeting was adjourned at 13:55 EDT.
Respectfully submitted, A. Heather Wood, Secretary